Wednesday, March 23, 2011

requiescat in pace

For the last several days,I've been trying to find time (and energy) to post. Yesterday was Stephen Sondheim's birthday and I let it go by! (It was also Andrew Lloyd Weber's birthday, but the less said about that, the better.)




The news wires are reporting that Elizabeth Taylor has passed on. This isn't just the passing of a for-real old school Movie Star. It's an era saying its goodbyes.



When I first moved to New York City in 1972, I shared a studio apartment on the Upper East Side. The phone number started with what I later realized was "Butterfield 8".



One of my favorite tv moments involves Ms. Taylor's attempts at reading an endless list of producers at that year's Tony Awards. She was starring on Broadway in a production of "The Little Foxes" at the time...this must-a been around 1981 or 82? It was a kinda ballsy thing for her to do -she would have been about 50 at the time, and it was her first real theatre experience, if I am correct in my recollections. She played Regina. I'd have loved seeing it - another of my favorite actresses, Maureen Stapleton, played Birdie.







Rest in Peace, Liz

1 comment:

Austan said...

That's a sweet tribute. She was a remarkable human and the last Great Movie Star. You're right; it's the end of the era. Very sad.