Saturday, February 9, 2013

Snow day reading

So just after I clicked on the mouse to send yesterday's post to the blog, it started to snow. It was a little fitful at one point a couple of hours in, but it recovered and snowed well into the night. I'm guessing we got about a foot and a half. Certainly, enough that it piled up to the bottom of the sign for St. Michael's Episcopal across the street.

I've told you about St. Michael's haven't I? You can't just say "St. Michael's" because we have two of them - one is Catholic. The one across the street used to be downtown next to the Congregational Church, but was moved to what must have been the edge of town in 1953. Well, the edge of the civic section of downtown  anyway. Most of the houses around here (big showplaces for the leading families) were built long before that event. I have a scan of the move around here somewhere.... ah, there it is. Where St. Mike's used to be there is now a bank and office building - the (now closed) local IRS office used to be in it at one point.

I've no real information on why the congregation moved its building a little over 5 blocks north. Were they securing a trust fund to maintain the building?  Maybe it was the lack of downtown parking? It used to sit back a bit from Main Street, with the Connecticut River and Mt. Wantastiquet as its backdrop.

At least the white spire of the Congregationalist Church is still there downtown, very Peyton Place.

It's a beautiful morning here in Brattleboro. Until just about an hour ago there wasn't even any auto traffic on Putney Road, but sadly things are starting to pick up a bit. Too bad, I was enjoying the quiet.

It's not like I don't have things to do. I still have a good bit of work left on my radio show to get done. But it's the kind of morning when one just wants to sit around in one's bathrobe, fresh ground freshly brewed coffee in hand, occasionally glancing at the view while lazily perusing a magazine. People around here are pretty good about dropping their magazines off at all the local coffee shops and doctor's offices. There's always a few things of interest one can pick up...







5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a little up to date reading material. Ah.....memories of a gentler time.

sdt (a.k.a. stevil) said...

mbj/Delores - Personally, I'm very happy to know that the finer points of pearl fingering were recorded for our generation's edification and instruction.

Austan said...

God almighty I'm a dowager. And even repeating "Lady Jane" Innes' life. I'm sure I'll be pushed down the stairs at the age of 95, too.

sdt (a.k.a. stevil) said...

Austan, Dahling,

Please forgive my inquisitiveness but I simply must ask which article interested you the most? Was it “Haughty or Naughty”, “Snubbing: Under-rated?”, or “A Solid Thrashing: Now More Than Ever”?

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

HA! That magazine covers are a real hoot.