Sunday, May 29, 2011

Keeping busy

Several years ago, while unemployed, I started a daily almanac on a web site where I hang out. When I no longer had available time to keep it going, it was taken over by others. It now has a minimum of three people working on it. About a week ago, the fellow who was doing the daily birthdays gave it up and it fell back into my lap. Working on it has kept me fairly busy. Luckily, I saved many of my old "today's birthdays" files.  Here's an example from today's list:


G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936) English writer, the Father Brown detective stories."Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."


Max Brand (1892-1944) - western fiction author


Josef von Sternberg (1894-1969) - filmmaker


Beatrice Lillie, Lady Peel (1894-1989) - comedian/actress "Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I ed on Noel's door, and he asked,'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'"


The list gets very long, so I won't publish it here - I just wanted to give you an idea of what I've been up to.  It's actually been a bit of a bitch to get it going, files spread out over two computers, changes in Windows 7 which have left me trying to figure out how to make the programs do what I want them to do, that sort of thing.

My wonderful fulfilling and rewarding career position as a grocery store cashier has me working from 1pm to 9pm today, so I'd better be going. I'll get back here as soon as I can - probably tomorrow. See ya.

No comments: